Saturday, June 23, 2007

Empire of the Sun..


  • Now you must be thinking have I heard about this movie let alone watched it.Yeah I thought the same thing too.When I was little,I had a faint memory of seeing this print in some catalogue.But I manage to catch the film on good old HBO.It's great that they are show movies that premiered when we were too young to comprehend what movies were all about.
  • Anyway,one of the things that I like about watching old movies is that you are able to catch actor and actresses in their early roles, before they became famous.In this case,we have John Malkovich and Miranda Richardson.But it is the child actors in this case a very young Ben Stiller and the main star of the film,Christian Bale which is known for his role in The Mechanist and most recently, Batman Begins that we should focus on.Back then he was just 13 and I would say among his peers and presently the most successful .Take for instances Haley Joel Osmond and Macaulay Culkin who had rather successful careers in their childhood days but are yet to make an impact in their adulthood film wise.
  • The film itself did pretty well and was nominated for 6 Oscars and won 3 British Academy awards.Of course, no prizes for guessing who directed this movie,yup Steven Spielberg.It is like the man was born to direct movies.
  • So to anyone reading this,I guess it is a good time to catch up on old movies that we missed out due to age.It can be pretty enjoyable.

No comments: